Wednesday 19 February 2014

PE Task

 During the sampling unit I believe that other artists and inspiration have played a huge part in the decisions I have made and the outcomes I have created. They helped me choose which directions I wanted to go in and guided my own thoughts on what I want my samples to look like and become.


My first inspiration was Karen Scott. Her main input was her theories on her work. She gave me the idea that data doesn’t have to just be numbers and figures. It can be information that comes from you. It may not be able to be read by everybody but still has as much meaning as a group of numbers. It is the interpretation that is relevant. From this I created my own doodles which relate to my mood at the time. Furthermore, her work is based on circle shaped mandalas that tell a story. Circular shapes have played a huge part in my work either being the main centre of the image or separate circles used to create a more diverse picture.
Beatriz Milhazes has also been a huge inspiration in guiding me towards my final prints. I have taken a lot of aspects from her use of colour to her arrangement of motifs. Although her work appears messy and unorganised, it is in fact quite compositional. From this I have taken composition into account throughout all of my prints. Layering is another key aspect that I have used in my work which is very similar to Milhazes. Overlapping and underlying in an effective way has been something I have had to monitor through the whole unit. Similarly to Karen Scott, she also used circular designs which again I have made use of in my samples.
Finally, in relation to the purpose of my designs I believe they could be used to decorate stationary and papers. This idea came from Paperchase. I have been a fan of Paperchase and their products since I was younger. They appeal to girls of most ages and can range from notebooks and pens to wrapping paper and purses. My designs make use of a variety of colours and in many cases are floral and could be considered as ‘pretty’. These qualities are often found on paperchase products in order to appeal to a wide age range. I think my designs would not be out of place on the front of a notebook and would be widely sellable to the public. I made two practice purses which came out successfully. 

Karen Scott







Beatriz Milhazes





Paperchase

No comments:

Post a Comment