Thursday 14 November 2013

Embroidery | Week 4

 This week we moved onto hand stitch.
We started by learning the 3 basic stitches: Straight, Ladder and Chain. After completing some samples of these stitches for my technical file I started to do the 2 samples of French Knots we'd been set. I think French Knots are really simplistic but populate a fabric really well when you put them in the right place. Although they're quite time consuming I like the outcome they create.
I was also inducted on the Cornelly machines. We got to practice on each of the different stitches (heavy chain, fine chain, fine moss etc) I am going to inclue these in my technical file.
Next week we are creating samples based on our drawings.
 


 
French Knots
This is one of my samples of the French Knots. I really like this. The fabric is black Silk Organza, as it is see through you can see the threads that connect the knots on the back. I did this on purpose so made sure the threads would go in a circular motion rather than all over the place. I think the threads make it look better than it would if they couldn't be seen.


 
After doing some practice on each of the different cornelly machines, I made this sample. I think the cornelly machines are very hard to control and I can't see myself creating anything that doesnt look like a doodle. However we have to create 5 cornelly samples so I am going to experiment with different patterns.


One thing I found interesting about the cornelly machines was the back of the sample. There was no loose threads and everything is exactly how it is on the front, just a bit thinner. In future I may think about using the back of the cornelly sample rather than the front.

No comments:

Post a Comment