Wednesday 15 October 2014

Intentions | Chris Hadfield

While I was having trouble drawing I tried to find new inspirations to give me the boost I needed. A friend told me about Chris Hadfield, a Canadian Astronaut who took the most fascinating pictures from space and put them on twitter.
His photographs are inspiring enough on their own, however I find it incredible how each one has meaning and shows a part of the world in great detail from a perspective that no one has seen before. I have borrowed his book 'You are here' from my friend and the photographs are absolutely incredible. I plan on using Hadfield as a massive influence throughout the Intentions Unit because his work is unique and I have never created anything like it before, so I'm hoping to face new challenges.
_____________________________________________
I have been collecting other influences and inspirations for this unit on a Pinterest Board called Intentions
_____________________________________________




Hadfield's work has really made me interested in different textures and their appearances, which has sort of lead me astray from my initial concept of windows. I'm considering taking a new route with my work, or possibly using the two ideas together? I'm going to wait and see where it takes me.

Taking inspiration from Chris' work and my own photographs of texture around the Benzie Building, I wanted to create textured drawings. One of the learning outcomes I usually struggle with is risk taking, so I decided to try drawing using different materials and processes that I'm not familiar with. The first thing I tried is paper making. I've never tried this process before and I wasn't sure if it would work. To be honest, it really didn't work. The paper I used was too good quality and didn't bond well. when I tried to use newspaper, that worked better but still didn't produce the results I wanted. You win some you lose some!

Although everybody says they used it at A level I had never even heard of Brusho, so I've been using that a lot in my work since the start of the project. I created these drawings from paints, sugar, salt, sweetener and black pepper. I really like the results because the salt crystallised and absorbed some of the colour creating whiter spaces. I plan to experiment much more with this to create different backgrounds to work on top of. 


No comments:

Post a Comment