Tuesday 22 October 2013

Embroidery | Week 1

In the first week of Embroidery, we were split into two groups; Hand and Machine.
My group started with machine stitch. For this week we were only given a straight stitch and a regular domestic needle. Our target was to complete 15 samples. I found this quite difficult, as it was hard to come up with ideas in such a short space of time. However we were only given a monochrome palette to work with which did eliminate having to take colour into account.
Overall I wasn't that happy with my samples as they were all rushed and I didnt base them on my drawings, meaning I didnt put much thought into what I was doing. Also, I think my stitching is messy as I was more focussed on getting the samples done rather than doing them well.
 

I think this sample has potential, however I really rushed the stitching. I should have stitched in white thread rather than black as well as making it neater and less obvious.

Again I think this idea is ok but I have carried it out in the wrong way. The technique of wrapping thread into circles and stitching them down is good, however I have rushed and left strands going everywhere. Furthermore I should have stitched them in more places as they weren't secure enough and ended up hanging off the fabric.

As I felt very restricted by the straight stitch and foot, I tried to experiement with other things that I could vary. Instead of using thread or material, I stitched on some wooden sticks from the cafe that I'd snapped and cut in half to make sure they would fit into the zig-zag stitch of the machine. Although this was different to any other samples I'd created, I feel it could have been made better by expanding ideas, such as covering the whole fabric.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment