Tuesday 8 October 2013

Chance Card Drawings

Our first task was to do 16 drawings based on Chance Cards which described how we had to draw each picture. At first I found it difficult deciding what object to draw and how to draw it, as in the past I've been taught that to draw something is to draw the entire object and make it look as realistic as possible. It took me a while to expand on what drawing is but eventually I began to look at things differently and draw them in alternative ways.
 


"Make a drawing using 5 different pencils"
This was the first drawing I did from a photo I took in the city. I tried to draw the full object in as much
detail as possible because this is how I'd been taught before.
 
"Make a drawing that fills 5%, 25% or 85% of the paper"
Originally I just drew the graffiti walls at the top of the page. However I then painted the
bricks they were made of in watercolour. I did this to try and experiment with painting a part of an object
rather than the whole thing.

"Make a drawing using layered sheets of transparent paper"
I decided the branches of a tree would work nicely for this chance card. However in the end I found
the outcome a bit boring so I drew more trees over the top using indian ink.


"Make one drawing using 50 different pieces of paper"
This is a drawing of the same tree above. Again, I wasn't pleased with the outcome so I decided to turn it
into the 50 pieces chance card by cutting it up.
 
 
 
When I had my meeting with the tutors I was advised to try and work on a bigger piece of paper.
Here I used two pieces of A3 paper together to create A2. The objects I drew were a jar of dirty water and an ice cream
scoop, using indian ink and pastels.



"Make a light drawing on a dark background"
I drew a section of a chain bracelet I own using pastels. I think this turned out quite well and it is
one of my favourite chance card drawings.
 
 

I developed this drawing from the one above. I decided to try it again on a light background with different drawing materials. This time I used indian ink and in some places watercolour.


No comments:

Post a Comment