Tuesday 8 April 2014

Unit X | Layering

I've been experimenting with layering different images together to create the feel Bryan Holland's work does. Using newspaper and found images, I have made collages using an image transfer technique that I learned at A level. Painting over an image with white acrylic paint and then placing it face down and applying pressure puts the image onto the other page. However some parts may not be transferred at all, others will be done lightly and some parts appear more bold. I really like the effect this creates as it gives a worn feel, as if the image is a lot older than it is. I want there to be an older feel to my work as it can then give the impression of old circus posters in a similar way to Bryan Holland. I was going to use image maker however that would copy the image perfectly, and I want a more distressed feel. 





Another artist that inspires me is Robert Rauschenberg. He creates work with a damaged and distressed look similar to what I am trying to create. His work is generally worn everywhere however I am trying to also include some less distressed elements in my work, particularly the animals. I specifically like his use of running paint, I really like how this looks.


No comments:

Post a Comment