Sunday 17 January 2016

Second Collection

I started to research geometric prints and garments for my second collection when I came across Holly Fulton. I have loved her as a designer for a long time and her prints are very bold and geometric. Furthermore they sometimes consist of only one or two colours, which is one of the skills I wanted to challenge myself with during this unit. She is a designer for a high end audience, and as I am taking inspiration from her my designs could end up for a high end market too. I normally aim for a high street audience so this could be an exciting change for me and encourage me to think differently about my context.

Holly Fulton draws the designs herself and then digitally manipulates them into patterns that mimic Art Deco inspirations. I want to take inspiration from this as I haven't worked on such a strong, geometric shaped print theme before. I am going to use the same visual research as my digital collection in order to keep my work related to my digital designs.


With Holly Fulton designs as inspiration, I drew up some simple black and white geometric designs from my distortion visual research. Although there are similarities with my digital collection I feel these drawings are different enough to produce a very different outcome. The thicker and bolder lines will hopefully help me imitate Fulton's theme. Furthermore, I am excited to make use of different techniques such as foiling which digital printing cannot do for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment