Friday 29 January 2016

Screen Printed Collection

After some very busy days in the print room I managed to create a completely screen printed collection. I am very happy with what I have produced as it isn't very similar to something I have done before. I believe these prints would fit in well with a high end market similar to Holly Fulton, and helped me work in a limited number of colours like I hoped it would.

I have made use of foiling and stenciling within this collection, both of which I haven't had much experience of myself. I will definitely be using both of these methods in future work. I also made the decision to add diamonds into some of the designs. This is because while research Art Deco I found there to be a lot of diamond and triangle shapes present. I think this really added to my prints and contrasted nicely with the distorted motifs.


In terms of garment shape and context, I looked at higher end collections and found a lot of boxy and structured shapes. My favourites were Holly Fulton's dress shapes and Prada spring 2011. 


This is why I collaged with squares and then went onto choose a T-Shirt dress as a final garment. For this collection I only wanted to give visualizations of what my prints could look like, so I chose a basic garment to experiment on based on Prada and Holly Fulton. I think this worked really well and the prints work best on a basic garment. 



I found doing this screen print collection really interesting, especially because it changed my context. It really made me think about print placement and the use of colours together, as I had to actively choose the colour before I printed it. If I decide to continue this project through Unit X, I think I would try and take my screen prints further and maybe turn them into actual garments for a lookbook. 

No comments:

Post a Comment