Thursday 19 February 2015

Locating | Networking

One of the objectives of the Locating Unit is to make connections and start networking, and to get in touch with the creative world outside of the University. The idea of live briefs and getting my work seen by people got me thinking. My previous work is currently sitting in a folder in my room where no one is going to see it, not being of any use at all.
This has given me the kick start I need to try and get my drawings, designs, prints and work in general seen. The easiest and most used source is obviously the Internet, which is why I have decided to upload my work from the Locating unit and the Intentions unit to Pinterest. I myself am a massive Pinterest fan and I know that a lot of people whether in creative careers or not also use it as a form of inspiration. Putting my work on Pinterest will hopefully get it seen.
 Here are the links to view the full Intentions Board and the Locating Board.


Another one of the most used social media right now is Instagram. I haven't really uploaded much work to Instgram before as I have only ever had a personal account. However I decided it's about time I made an account for my work. Instagram is great for getting your work seen through the use of hashtags. By hashtagging different words along with my pictures they can be searched for by people worldwide.
I'm really glad I decided to create an instagram account, as when I uploaded my work I was really flattered by the amount of likes and nice comments people left. It gives me confidence in my work as complete strangers are saying that my work is cool and amazing, which is lovely to see. The account is @caramilletprintdesigns for anyone who wants to have a look.



One more way of connecting with the outside world is to contact the people out there. I have already emailed Louise Whitaker who was really lovely and gave me so much help and advice. I felt inspired to email other recent graduate designers to see if they have any advice on preparing for the outside world too.

While on Pinterest I came across Hannah Beth Fincham. She graduated with a degree in Mixed Media Textiles and now runs a business and a website selling her clothing. My favourite pieces are her embroidered sweatshirts, especially the 'Too Sassy for you'. I thought it would be good to ask her for advice too as her consumer is of a similar age to mine, teenage girls and young women. Also, even though I see myself as part of a company after I graduate I don't want to rule out any other opportunities, so getting some advice on starting my own business from someone who has done it would be very useful.


Louise responded and gave such a detailed reply, which for me is really helpful as I am not completely sure of what direction I want to go in after graduation. Hopefully getting some advice from other people will keep my options open and make me feel more prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment