Tuesday 22 September 2015

Summer Work 2015

One of our tasks for this summer was to come up with a concept/theme to start working from. I found an artist called Russell Tomlin. He is a photographer who is fascinated by water in its different forms. Particularly flowing water.



Russell's work inspired me to think about distortion as a theme. I further researched the topic and took a liking to distortion through glass, as it is unpredictable and unusual. I feel I could take this concept into different directions throughout the project and create very different prints and designs using the same visual research.
As part of my summer work I teamed up with my friend Lucy Fraser (@lucyfraserart : Instagram) who attends Northumbria University, on a collaborative photography project. Taking pictures of everyday objects through a shaped glass provided us with distorted imagery to work with. I really like the photographs, in particular the most abstract ones.

These are some of our photographs inspired by Russell Tomlin.



We also took inspiration from Kalliope Amorphous who distorts images of people.



Researching artists before we took photographs allowed us to plan what we wanted to achieve during the shoot, which made it more succesful overall.


We generated a vast amount of photography to use as visual inspiration in the coming project. One possibility to explore is to take my research in two directions, into faces and also into abstract shapes. I think it will be interesting to see how these go together or can be used separately to create prints. Although we collected a lot of photography I plan on reworking this and continuing to use photography throughout the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment